Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84702members
354079posts

Smart Cable vs Simple Cable

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
bananabb_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/17/2007

Hey folks,

Super simple question here... my installation says to use a UPS Simple cable (grey) to connect from my APC 8 port expander to my Server. I do not have the Simple "grey" cable rather I have a UPS Smart "black" cable. Is this a problem? What possible effects would come of it should I connect a Smart cable in a Simple port on my 8 port expander?

For this Server, Im not connecting to the APC Smart port on the expander... or the back of the UPS. Nothing more then using a Smart in place of a Simple

Major Thanks
JOhn

Accepted Solutions
bananabb_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Hey folks,

Super simple question here... my installation says to use a UPS Simple cable (grey) to connect from my APC 8 port expander to my Server. I do not have the Simple "grey" cable rather I have a UPS Smart "black" cable. Is this a problem? What possible effects would come of it should I connect a Smart cable in a Simple port on my 8 port expander?

For this Server, Im not connecting to the APC Smart port on the expander... or the back of the UPS. Nothing more then using a Smart in place of a Simple

Major Thanks
JOhn

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Smart Cable vs Simple Cable

This reply was originally posted by Steve on APC forums on 5/18/2007

Hi JOhn,

Just to add to the previous answer. The 7 simple ports on the Share-UPS interface expander are simple signaling. The long and the short of it is, if you attach a smart cable to this port and configure PowerChute or Native shutdown as smart signaling, you will get a no-comm. If you use the smart cable and configure the software for simple, the difference in the pin-outs of the cable will cause the software to believe the UPS is on battery with a low battery. You will get an immediate shutdown condition in the software and that will happen every time you boot until you disconnect the cable.

The advanced port on the Share-UPS will work with the 940-0024C (smart) cable but on current software anyway, you will need the 940-0020C (simple) cable on the 7 other ports.

bananabb_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Hey folks,

Major Thanks
JOhn