Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84724members
354137posts

Single Inline Remote On/Off power switch?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
epni_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/8/2008

I'm trying to find an ethernet controllable inline simple on/off power switch...eg if I'm holidaying in Spain, I want to turn off the power to my device in Vancouver using a web browser or some other kind of Internet accessible interface.

The nearest I can seem to find is this UPS Remote Power Off Interface
which uses a serial connection to a computer which might be doable if I can beam into the computer and turn off the switch using the computer interface to the serial port. I would prefer something a little less klugy.

Anyone have any recommendations?

TimeTraveller

Accepted Solutions
epni_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/9/2008

I'm trying to find an ethernet controllable inline simple on/off power switch...eg if I'm holidaying in Spain, I want to turn off the power to my device in Vancouver using a web browser or some other kind of Internet accessible interface.

which uses a serial connection to a computer which might be doable if I can beam into the computer and turn off the switch using the computer interface to the serial port. I would prefer something a little less klugy.

TimeTraveller

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
KVM4Life_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: Single Inline Remote On/Off power switch?

Hello TimeTraveller,

As Notorious mentioned, the Remote Power Off device would not be recommended. RPO devices are intended for EPO (Emergency Power Off) environments.

Notorious' first option would be valid, Smart UPS with an AP9617 except it would require all equipment to go off.

Your best options are either Switched Rack PDU's (AP7900 is the most common 120 volt unit) or the Masterswitch Plus (AP9225). For remote power off requirements, I wouldn't advise the Metered PDU since you don't have any controllable functionality.

epni_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

TimeTraveller