Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84721members
354121posts

RS-1500 vs PFC power supplies

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Picasso_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/20/2010

I have read about the PFC power supplies and the compatibility problem with the BackUPS line and there is one thing that I am not sure to understand :

Will the RS-1500 work with a Corsair TX750 power supply? Will it shut down the computer or is it possible that it won't work at all?

I don't want to run on the UPS batteries, I just need to shutdown my PC when there is an electricity problem.

It doesn't seem to make any sense that all the new generation of power supplies aren't compatible with a moderatly priced UPS.

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
Picasso_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I have read about the PFC power supplies and the compatibility problem with the BackUPS line and there is one thing that I am not sure to understand :

Will the RS-1500 work with a Corsair TX750 power supply? Will it shut down the computer or is it possible that it won't work at all?

I don't want to run on the UPS batteries, I just need to shutdown my PC when there is an electricity problem.

It doesn't seem to make any sense that all the new generation of power supplies aren't compatible with a moderatly priced UPS.

See Answer In Context

6 Replies 6
Picasso_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: RS-1500 vs PFC power supplies

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/21/2010

Here is an update to my previous post,

I have bought a BX1300LCD (XS series) and it works with my equipment.

No buzzing while running on the battery and I'm peaking around 250w.

rau_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/21/2010

Good!

I think the only way to tell if a PSU is compatible with the UPS is testing both. I've seen people asking the same question here in my country before buying their first UPS and the only answer I can give is this: buy it, test it and if it doesn't work, return it.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by S. on APC forums on 7/23/2010

Dear Sebastien,

Please note that the transfer time (Online to battery) of Back UPS product line is 2-8 milli seconds. The computer systems which have PFC Supply will not work properly with Back UPS Product line. And another reason is that the PFC Power supply computer systems looks for pure sine wave outlet where as the Back UPS Product line wiill provide stepped approximation to a sine wave when on battery.

I would sugegst you to go for a UPS which will provide pure sine wave output even on battery. You might go for Smart UPS Product line (exclude Smart UPS SC). Also note that the transfer time of these Smart UPSs are lesser (2-4 milli seconds) than Back UPS Products. You can get the Smart UPS information from the link below.

Link: http://uat.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=165

Thank you!

rau_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/24/2010

If the Back UPS is working for him, as he said in his last message, and it works for me and it can work for many others, I don't see the reason for paying hundreds of dollars more for the Smart UPS unless APC states that demages can be caused by using these cheaper kinds of UPSes.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by S. on APC forums on 7/26/2010

Hi,

I will not say that the Back UPS product line with damage your computer system which has PFC Power supply. However the computer systems which has PFC Supply will not accept the transfer time of Back UPS (2-6 milliseconds). Also some of PFC Power supply computer systems will not accept the steppd approximation of a sine wave output. If you are sure that the computer system will accept the transfer time of Back UPS product line and the output of Back UPS on battery then you can go for a Back UPS Product line.

Thank you!

Picasso_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes