Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84505members
353724posts

No ground

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
abc_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

No ground

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/20/2011

The outlets in my house have no ground (the ground prong in the wall outlet is not connected to anything inside the wall).
Will an APC surge protector protect against a surge, or does it MUST have a ground connection?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
RK2_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: No ground

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/22/2011

You could use surge device(s) hardwired into the breaker panel. Still needs a ground in the panel, but will work even if the individual circuits are not grounded. Note that there is a difference between a surge arrester and a surge protector - carefully read the specs to see what a specific item will or won't protect against. If I understand correctly, having both an arrester and suppressor is the safest option (if this is incorrect I'd appreciate a correction - the information out there isn't very consumer-friendly).

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
abc_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/21/2011

Thank you for the answer.

That's a bummer.
Is there a surge protector that can operate without ground, for home use?

Thanks.

upsguy_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

I would imagine any surge supressor that actually works requires a ground.

RK2_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

You could use surge device(s) hardwired into the breaker panel. Still needs a ground in the panel, but will work even if the individual circuits are not grounded. Note that there is a difference between a surge arrester and a surge protector - carefully read the specs to see what a specific item will or won't protect against. If I understand correctly, having both an arrester and suppressor is the safest option (if this is incorrect I'd appreciate a correction - the information out there isn't very consumer-friendly).