Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84328members
353490posts

What happens when the power returns?

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
sdyckman_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/9/2007

I am using PowerChute Network Shutdown. I have configured my servers to shutdown after the UPS has been on battery for 30 min. Assuming the servers have shut down gracefully, what happens when the power comes back on and load is returned? Will I have to manually turn my servers back on, or will they turn back on automatically?
Thanks,
Shain

Accepted Solutions
rie49_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: What happens when the power returns?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/2/2009

Hi Shain,

how to configure 30 minutes on battery then shutdown the servers anyway ?

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
sdyckman_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

I am using PowerChute Network Shutdown. I have configured my servers to shutdown after the UPS has been on battery for 30 min. Assuming the servers have shut down gracefully, what happens when the power comes back on and load is returned? Will I have to manually turn my servers back on, or will they turn back on automatically?
Thanks,
Shain

Grenade_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Shain,

There is a section on the network management card under UPS>Powerchute>Configuration called On-Battery Shutdown Behavior. If you enable Restart when power is restored, the UPS will power back on when it sees utility power again. Whether or not the server will restart depends on a setting in the BIOS. Here is a knowledgebase document that discusses the BIOS setting:

http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1003&p_created=1010390400&p...

sdyckman_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/10/2007

Thanks Grenade. One more related question. What happens here: UPS is on battery. At 30 min servers shut down per power chute. The UPS still has 30 more min of battery time remaining. At 45 min power is restored. Since load was never completely removed and restored, I assume that the servers will remain off?

Thanks,

Shain

dirtfoot_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/13/2007

In the PowerChute Network Shutdown Interface there is an option called "Turn off the UPS after the shutdown
finishes. (Not applicable to Silcon UPS)" in the "CONFIGURE SHUTDOWN" menu. If you check this box,
the UPS will start its sleep routine once the PowerChute agent has initiated its shutdown. In your example,
after 30 minutes, the PowerChute software would start shutting down followed by the UPS turning off. When
power came back at 45 minutes, the UPS would return online, and your server(s) should boot back up
depending on the BIOS settings.

This can become a bit more complicated if you have multiple servers that are set to shutdown at staggered
times. If this is the case, you will want to make sure that only the LAST server in your staggered shutdowns
has the "Turn off the UPS..." box checked. If the first server had that box checked, the UPS would go into
sleep mode sooner that you expected, and cause all the other servers to shutdown prematurely.

rie49_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/2/2009

Hi Shain,

how to configure 30 minutes on battery then shutdown the servers anyway ?