Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82448members
349988posts

SMT3000 "Bricked" Trying To Update The Firmware?

APC UPS Data Center Backup Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for Data Center UPS, software and services including our APC offers designed to share knowledge, installation, configuration, and general product use.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

SMT3000 "Bricked" Trying To Update The Firmware?

This question was originally posted by Joe on APC forums on 1/10/2016

Hi Folks, I have an SMT3000 that was running on firmware SMT18UPS_09-1.enc and I attempted to upgrade the firmware to SMT18UPS_09-3.enc via the installed NMC firmware update mechanism.  I powered down the UPS and logged into the NMC, located the correct firmware will under the "Configuration/Firmware Update" drop down and proceeded.  The front panel of the SMT indicated that it was accomplishing the firmware update and the screen on the NMC web interface said that it would restore after the firmware update was successful.  The NMC screen restored and I attempted to turn the UPS back on and now it appears to be dead with a constant tone coming from the UPS' alarm.  I have verified that the battery packs are good.

The NMC interfaces shows the following:

HOME:

Smart-UPS 3000: Unknown

Critical Alarm 2 Critical Alarms Present
  • An internal UPS communication fault exists.
  • The battery power is too low to support the load; if power fails, the UPS will be shut down immediately.
  Warning Alarm 2 Warning Alarms Present
  • The power for the main outlet group, UPS Outlets, is off.
  • The power for switched outlet group 1, Outlet Group 1, is off.

Recent Device Events
  Date Time Event
  01/10/2016 11:19:34 UPS: The power for switched outlet group 1, Outlet Group 1, is off.
  01/10/2016 11:19:34 UPS: The power for the main outlet group, UPS Outlets, is off.
  01/10/2016 11:19:34 UPS: The battery power is too low to support the load; if power fails, the UPS will be shut down immediately.
  01/10/2016 11:19:34 UPS: An internal UPS communication fault exists.
  01/10/2016 11:19:34 UPS: Restored the local network management interface-to-UPS communication.

UPS Status Smart-UPS 3000

Last Battery Transfer: None
Battery Temperature: 0.0°C
Runtime Remaining: 0min
UPS Input    
Input Voltage: 0.0 VAC @ 0.0 Hz

UPS Output  
Output Voltage: 0.0 VAC @ 0.0 Hz
Load Current: 0.0 Amps

Output VA: 0.0 %
Output Watts: 0.0 %
Output Efficiency: output off
Output Energy Usage: 711.90 kWh
Battery Status  
State of Charge: 0.0 %
Battery Voltage: 0.0 VDC

I can no longer attempt a firmware update because the NMC thinks the UPS is turned on:

Firmware Update

Last Update Result: Refused
UPS Firmware
Current Version: ID18UPS 09.1

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can proceed or need any additional information that may be helpful?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks much!

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: SMT3000 "Bricked" Trying To Update The Firmware?

This reply was originally posted by Joe on APC forums on 1/12/2016

Hi Gareth.  Thanks for your response.  No joy.  I left it powered off unplugged with batteries disconnected for the evening.  I am afraid that the UPS, although itself less than 3 years old, is nothing more than a boat anchor at this point.

APC does not provide repair services nor will they sell parts.  The only aftermarket repair solution won't touch it either.  $1,100 down the drain at this point.

Lessons learned?  Don't update firmware on these units unless absolutely necessary and specifically told to do so by APC tech support.  These units are not designed with robust firmware fail-safe features in case of a disaster.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Gareth on APC forums on 1/12/2016

Unplug the mains and battery packs, this should clear any residual voltage but leave it for 30 minutes and try to power it back up again.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Joe on APC forums on 1/12/2016

Hi Gareth.  Thanks for your response.  No joy.  I left it powered off unplugged with batteries disconnected for the evening.  I am afraid that the UPS, although itself less than 3 years old, is nothing more than a boat anchor at this point.

APC does not provide repair services nor will they sell parts.  The only aftermarket repair solution won't touch it either.  $1,100 down the drain at this point.

Lessons learned?  Don't update firmware on these units unless absolutely necessary and specifically told to do so by APC tech support.  These units are not designed with robust firmware fail-safe features in case of a disaster.