Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82250members
349809posts

APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA RM 230V - Will Not Power Up

APC UPS Data Center Backup Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for Data Center UPS, software and services including our APC offers designed to share knowledge, installation, configuration, and general product use.

Solved
Passengers_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA RM 230V - Will Not Power Up

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/8/2016

We have an APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA RM 230V.

Following a number of short mains disturbances at the weekend, the UPS will now not power up.

This is what I have tried so far;

• Checked all connections are secure
  • Ensured the breaker on the rear panel had not tripped
  • Changed the fuse in the mains cable
  • Changed the mains cable
  • Put a meter across the battery plug (the reading was a steady 110v)
  • Left it plugged into the mains for two days

I also put a meter across two capacitors in the power supply, which also gave a reading of 110v. This may or may not be a fault, but when the battery, mains or both are disconnected, the capacitors discharge very quickly and sit at around 30v.

Occasionally, pressing the on / test button makes the fans start up and there is a brief beep for about a second...before the UPS is dead again. This happens on mains with the battery connected, on mains with the battery disconnected, and when the UPS has no mains connected (just the battery).

It seems to me like there may be a power supply fault with the UPS itself. If left on mains for a minute or two, the fans try to spin but are unable to - it is as if they are not getting enough power and make a ticking noise, but do not actually manage to spin. During the brief burst of power sometimes (as mentioned above), both fans spin up - which confirms they do work.

The batteries are good, although they may be low on charge due to the mains problems over the weekend.

Can anyone assist with any further suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Passengers_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA RM 230V - Will Not Power Up

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/9/2016

Hello Shannon

Thanks for your reply.

I will get the model and serial numbers as soon as I have access to the UPS again. Over the weekend, I may try slowly charging the batteries and seeing if that works.

The batteries were only replaced a year ago using a genuine APC pack.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Shanon on APC forums on 12/8/2016

Hello Damien,

I am sorry that you are having issues with your UPS. 

So that I can give you the best support, I need to get more information: What is the model and serial number of you UPS?

At this point, from what you are describing, you probably have bad battery in the UPS. You probably have an older smart ups that will not turn on without good batteries. 

Thanks,
Shanon

Passengers_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/9/2016

Hello Shannon

Thanks for your reply.

I will get the model and serial numbers as soon as I have access to the UPS again. Over the weekend, I may try slowly charging the batteries and seeing if that works.

The batteries were only replaced a year ago using a genuine APC pack.